History of Local No.28

On December 3, 1901 Iron Workers Local No. 28 was established and a charter was granted with the International Association of Bridge, Structural and Ornamental Iron Workers. On January 1, 2011 the former Local 697 was merged in with Local 28. Through the years the local has done many historic buildings in the city of Richmond, the likes of which include one of the first State Penitentiaries, numerous railway bridges, and a few churches. In recent years the projects have included the Richmond Floodwall, Pocahontas Parkway Bridge over the James River, Richmond Coliseum, and most recently the Children’s Hospital of Richmond Pavilion at VCU.

In the early years of our local there were many trials and tribulations. In the year 1906 a Strike fell upon the city sending a lot of Brother’s home. They were only on strike for 8 months, but in that time a lot of work was lost. In the years since, work has progressed and we have gained momentum. Iron Workers Local 28 has now been in Charter for 114 years and we look forward to many more prosperous years to come!